English :)

Тема в разделе "English Board", создана пользователем Леонид, 20 апр 2004.

1. Леонид

Леонид New Member

Good evening, dear friends. I sincerely hope that Admin of this forum will agree to give his generous permission to dedicate this page to particular detalis of English, that are important for those who already have a good command of this language, but sometimes encounter specific peculiarities that raise difficulties.

Efficiency and effectiveness. Which of these words corresponds to the Russian "эффективность", and which - "действенность"? Explanations to both are given below.

I won't object if you remove this topic; I acknowledge that it a bit dissonates.

Excuse me for prolonged non-responding to the messages addressed to me in Bulgarian and Polish sections; but I'm currently infernally busy.

Thanx.

2. Загрузка...

Похожие темыФорумДата
    Упрощенный Basic EnglishКонланги лингвофорумчан12 ноя 2015
    English language самый удачный, естественный, исторически сложившийся конланг?Интерлингвистика и лингвопроектирование8 янв 2015
    В сотый раз про glottal stop in modern EnglishФонетика19 окт 2014
    "rule at law reasoned" в учебнике "Professional English in use - Law"Лексика22 сен 2014
    Перенесено: 700,000 migrants 'do not try to learn English'Социолингвистика19 авг 2014

3. RawonaM

RawonaM New Member

2u2!

Well, first of all, am I considered the one who decides what to talk about and gives permissions on some subjects and objects to the others? :roll: If so, I should revise my strategy, that's not whom I wanted to be... :?
    Second, permission granted. :wink:

No way! Why should we...?

Can you explain why you think so?

I'm not sure I understand the difference between those two Russian words. It seems that you, Leonid, also don't, for if you see the explanation, in what the English words differ, you should be able to attach them to the corresponding Russian ones, if it is possible at all (I don't actually understand why you need it...), because, you see, I'm definitely against translating from one language to another, for I think we lose much of the meaning by doing that, it is enough to understand the English words, unless you plan to be a real-time translator :)
    Neither do I see a clear difference in English. If someone has an idea, please share.

4. andrewsiak

andrewsiak New Member

I read somewhere that "the war in Afghanistan was effective but not efficient".

5. Digamma

Digamma New Member

Evening!

Well, I think Webster is the only thing we need here... :)

It's clear from here that Efficiency is rather measure: even second meaning refers to "quality of being producing". Thus "действенность" is Effectiveness and "эффективность" should be translated as Efficience.

6. RawonaM

RawonaM New Member

Cool, this is really a good example, it makes everything transparent. Interesting, how should we actually translate this sentence?

7. Digamma

Digamma New Member

Maybe "война в Афганистане была результативной, но не эффективной". It's just an idea, nothing more... :)

BTW, will you give to Lovermann permissions to write here in Esperanto? ;)

8. RawonaM

RawonaM New Member

Honestly, just yesterday I thought to open two new threads here - English and Esperanto. Is there some new device for reading thoughts via internet? 8)

P.S. I'll be glad to hear corrections, if someone sees mistakes in my posts, and if someone wants to be corrected too, state that please :)

9. Digamma

Digamma New Member

Yep. A head. It's completely new device for me. ;)

FYI, I mean not to open new topic for Lovermann, but to allow him to post here in Esperanto - I can rememeber his mood about English. :) (joke!)

10. RawonaM

RawonaM New Member

What's this abbreviation?

Yes, over my dead body. :p

11. Digamma

Digamma New Member

For Your Information.

Another abbreviation used quite often is ASAP (As Soon As Possible).
    And IMHO too. :)

12. RawonaM

RawonaM New Member

Yeah, this one I know. I was taught it in highschool, because it is formal, as opposed to the other ones, which are used often, but informally. I like most AFAIK and IMHO, among those.

13. Digamma

Digamma New Member

FYI, AFAIK ASAP is MRU (IMHO). ;) ;) ;)

NB! MRU = most-recently used

14. Roman

Roman New Member

I thought I knew English in all of its forms very well, by the same token I have never encountered an abbreviation I would not understand. Till today... Can anyone shed some light into my dark head and explain what a heck "AFAIK" means?

BTW, I have some really often used to quote: BYOB. Does anyone know what it stands for? :lol:

15. Digamma

Digamma New Member

AFAIK means "as far as I know".

AFAIK ;), BYOB is YABA meaning "bring your own booze/bottle/beer" (depending on taste :)).

BTW, YABA = "yet another bloody acronim". ;)

16. Физик

Физик New Member

AFAIK :))) it stands for Bring Your Own Bottle - accompanying postscript to invitation cards. Kinda У нас с собой было.
    FYI: If you are interested in acronyms, there are two sites 4U:
    http://www.acronymfinder.com
    and http://sokr.ru.
    In addition to ASAP, acronyms like FYI are RSVP quite formal as well.

17. Физик

Физик New Member

Pardon, I hadn't seen F's post when I typed mine.

18. Lida

Lida New Member

OK. Now I know why there is no-one in the Polish section :)
    I'd like to join you sometimes in here as well.
    Good luck, folks !

19. RawonaM

RawonaM New Member

Why? :) I think the Polish thread is dead since Tvid ceased to frequent this forum. :lol:

Welcome! :)

Thanks!

20. Леонид

Леонид New Member

No, you are absolutely wrong. I'd participate in the Polish forum with great pleasure, if I had time. But due to lack of time everything I can afford now is only to read what others write, as a brief rest, but not to engage into conversations. But I'll be back to Polish and other topics later.

21. RawonaM

RawonaM New Member

I can't be wrong here, I just stated a fact :) I hope you'll help to revive that thread.