Let's speak English!

Тема в разделе "Общаемся на разных языках", создана пользователем iopq, 19 апр 2007.

1. iopq

iopq New Member

I can't believe there's no topic here for this very popular language :)

Well, I think that's part of the problem, since there's an actual section of the forum that is dedicated to the language.

Regardless, post in English; I will correct your mistakes.

2. Загрузка...

Похожие темыФорумДата
    American, motherf....er, do you speak it?Языки и государства8 сен 2015
    Перенесено: Earthlings Speak Moon LanguageКомпаративистика19 дек 2014
    Earthlings Speak Moon LanguageПсевдонаука19 дек 2014
    Limited genetic link between Mansi and Hungarian-speaking populationsГенетика10 ноя 2014
    The Genetic Legacy of the Expansion of Turkic-Speaking Nomads Across EurasiaГенетика1 авг 2014

3. klaus

klaus New Member

"Regardless, post in English; I will correct your mistakes."

Medice, cura te ipsum.

4. iopq

iopq New Member

Sorry, this is not the Latin thread.

5. guest

guest Guest

Well, that's for it! This language's world-wide, there's so much interest in it. ecpesially in Russian... That's why, from my point of view, at this forum it's a very small popularity. :??? :yes:

6. iopq

iopq New Member

Of course that's the reason for it, since everyone thinks their English is so good :)

7. Akulina

Akulina New Member

Yes, let's speak English! What shall we discuss?

8. regn

regn čia nieko nėra

Maybe, the election here in the US that's going to happen in 7 days? ;-)

9. iopq

iopq New Member

Let's discuss several points of the English grammar that I find interesting. For example, the "singular they."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they
    This is used to refer to people of indeterminate gender or of indeterminate number. Long ago theis was delegated to the pronoun "he." But in the twentieth century it became more politically correct to write "he or she." Other possible nouns used in this situation are "one," "each," and "a person." Colloquially, the singular they is probably the most used. But most prescriptive grammars say that pronouns must agree in number; they state that the singular they is incorrect usage.

10. iopq

iopq New Member

That's boring, in reality elections don't change anything because both candidates agree on everything but minor issues. Obama will take troops out of Iraq... and put them in Afghanistan. But McCain will just put more troops in Afghanistan. Big deal.

11. Akulina

Akulina New Member

Alright :)
    1) Election. I guess I'm on the Obama side. Not that I like him or anything, but I really do detest the Palin woman. Anyway, my opinion doesn't make any difference, since I live in Canada :)
    2) Singular they. Ah yes, it is an interesting topic which I come across all the time. Personally, I try using "one" when in doubt. "They" is sometimes inavoidable, too, of course. It's rather awkward, but I think "he or she" is worse - it's longer, and really looks much too formal. I've never seen a singular they combined with a singular verb, though. It's always "they walk", never "they walks".

12. iopq

iopq New Member

Of course, the singular they is always used grammatically as plural. But its meaning is not necessarily plural.

If you detest Palin that just means you live in a big city. Obama tries to appeal to an audience from big cities and make the rural population look ridiculous by saying they cling to their religion and guns. Palin tries to appeal to the rural population by saying that people from small towns are somehow better. They both try to separate people by using group mentality. Democrats want their team to win, Republicans want their team to win too. It has nothing to do with actual policy.

13. regn

regn čia nieko nėra

Palin basically doesn't know what she's talking about. Actually, this is not her fault, nor McCain's. McCain learned a lesson years ago that in the campaign nothing's dirty and nothing is unacceptable once you've decided you want to persuade your goals. In this case the goal is power, and Bush in his march defeated McCain by using all the means he could. Now McCain's behavior reflects that 100%. He already accused Obama of being a terrorist, communist, and other names, and these are not the worst things he's doing.

Sarah is barely aware of two facts: a) what a president does; b) what a VICE-PRESIDENT does... Moreover, she's using statements to bash Obama that she used in her own speeches and policies in the past. For example, one of her biggest recent speeches included a comment about Obama's policies in which she called them communist based on his statements about collective something. Keith Olbermann played a little audio from her past background in which she uses similar statements in her campaign in Alaska, meaning, she's done what she's now trying to bash and present as bad things...

Anyways, the whole thing's ridiculous. Those two can barely be called politicians. And it's almost funny to see those two clowns running for such high positions.... One thing I know for sure - McCain is even worse than Bush :( This jerk doesn't bother to process primitive things - his destructive behavior knows no limits...

I'm even not talking about the story of Miss Buffalo Chip which you guys know, I assume...

14. Akulina

Akulina New Member

Um, I won't comment on the big cities. I'm not that much into US politics, really. What set me up against Palin was her talking about the enemies of US. I don't recall the exact wording now, but it was something like "authoritarian Islamic states such as Afghanistan, Iran, and Russia." Call me an elitist, but the idea of her as a vice-president scares me.

15. iopq

iopq New Member

You obviously don't know what a politician is.

16. regn

regn čia nieko nėra

Excuse me?

Well, I guess I know what you mean... In this case, George Bush is a "real American president" lol

17. regn

regn čia nieko nėra

When a person uses someone's middle name to define THEM as a person and this sh*t lasts for weeks before another ridiculous statement comes out, what the heck are they doing in politics??? iopq, you probably don't know what the real situation is...

18. regn

regn čia nieko nėra

THE REPUBLICAN IDEAS (even though I am personally not thrilled with them) DESERVE BETTER REPRESENTATIVES

19. regn

regn čia nieko nėra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOkPFtPHpy4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4RTlfRYLxA

very serious politics :-D lol

20. iopq

iopq New Member

I don't care, just because Republicans are idiots doesn't make Obama good in any way.
    Ron Paul is the best representative of Republican ideals.

21. regn

regn čia nieko nėra

Yeah, but Ron Paul is not there for McCain...

I was not trying to say that Obama's the holy God... I just tried to make a point that McCain was even worse.